Our Animal Area

Here at the Japanese Koi Company, we try to be more than just a pet shop. With many years of experience, we really know our animals.


We have built a new and exciting area occupied with a few select animals from around the world. This blog will show the birth of the project and introduce you to a few of the animals we love. Through pictures , text, videos and who knows maybe even a webcam this blog will involve you in their day to day lives.



Monday 26 November 2012

The Dark.

The Dark

A lot of people are scared of the dark, but I love it. I love taking my dog for a walk in the woods at night and just listening to all that is going on around me. The wildlife really does come alive at night. It is their time ,their time to take over.

I keep nocturnal animals at home and we have a fair few available at work. I have foxes at home and there is nothing better than spending an hour or two ,or three. Sitting in their enclosure with them at night and watching their interactions with each other, and with me. The difference between night and day is amazing, they are so much calmer at night I think it is because they know they have the advantage and can literally disappear from my view if they wish. During the day they do sleep a lot and they are just not as excitable, they seem to skulk around a lot more, they just seem to love the dark.

I enjoy the same thing with reptiles, especially amphibians as this is when they do most of their activities , from singing , feeding to mating and breeding. Just setup a nice planted tank with lights and heating and you could watch it all night , and lets face it beats the hell out of x-factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of my favourite wildlife watching experiences are with nocturnal animals seeing my first Tawny owl when my dad took me out late one night . Or my first time sitting down wind of a badger sett with my mate from work and watching their little noses poke out to make sure it was safe and then seeing that black and white striped face , amazing and I will remember these forever.

Now the days are shorter we might as well enjoy the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment